What you can do for
social justice in the Bay Area?
Want to Join or Renew your membership?
Support Our Work
The National Lawyers Guild, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (NLGSF), depends heavily on grassroots fundraising to support our work. Any donation – big or small – will help us continue to support and defend organizers, activists and social movements here in the Bay Area.
If you would like to make a donation, please complete the form below to contribute online.
Friends of the Guild (those who contribute $25 or more) will receive benefits similar to those of our members, such as the weekly online newsletter and invitations to Guild events.
Law 4 the People - Fall Internship
APPLICATION DEADLINE – August 15, 2018
Please email cover letter and resume to Jay Kim, Executive Director, at: email@example.com
National Lawyers Guild San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (NLGSF) is the largest chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, with over 700 members, and seeks an enthusiastic and administratively competent fall intern to work with our Membership Coordinator to support our active committees. NLGSF committees are the foundation of our programmatic work. Our volunteer members work to realize the mission of the Guild in areas such as immigration, demonstrations, and military law.
The intern will assist office staff and our demonstrations committee with general administrative duties, database updates, office system upgrades and will be assigned individual projects to complete during the fall. There will be three or more guild evening events where interns will provide tabling and administrative support. The intern will also provide event support for planning key membership events in the Fall, including a Mentorship Cocktail Party and our annual holiday auction . Must be computer literate, comfortable working in a hectic environment, have a good phone demeanor and a passion for social justice. This is an unpaid internship that requires a commitment of 20-25 hours per week.
This internship runs from September to December. Some internships may be extended into the new year. The National Lawyers Guild Bay Area Chapter is willing to fill out any paperwork for interns in order to receive college credit.
NLG-SF is an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, immigrants, formerly incarcerated persons, LBGTIQ+ individuals and differently-abled individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 3, 2018
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Lawyers Guild San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (NLGSF) is the largest chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, with over 700 members. NLGSF seeks a full-time Membership Coordinator to join our small team to ensure the smooth operation of our office, with a focus on membership support and office administration. The Membership Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Manage and ensure the quality and accuracy of our CiviCRM database.
- Respond to member email and telephone inquiries.
- Compile and distribute membership recruitment materials.
- Oversee monthly billing of members and lapsed members.
- Prepare monthly reports on membership status.
- Oversee membership listservs.
- Create and distribute regular email newsletter to members and supporters.
- Update website and social media accounts with news and events.
- Check and respond to general office email accounts and voicemail boxes.
- Collect and sort incoming mail.
- General office filing and data entry.
- Coordinate main office operations, including ordering supplies, coordinating use of office space, serving as primary point of contact for office service providers.
- Collect deposits and invoices for processing by our bookkeeper.
- Assist our bookkeeper in basic accounting reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Support Board of Directors and committees with any meeting logistics.
- Coordinate and prepare mailing lists for mass mailings to members as needed.
- Provide technical support to the office as needed.
- Work with volunteers and staff to plan, coordinate and execute events, including our chapter’s annual Testimonial Dinner for 400+ guests.
- Create event announcements, invitations and flyers.
- Coordinate invitations and RSVP’s for membership events.
- Book venues and serve as primary liaison with event vendors.
- Recruit and oversee volunteers and interns for events.
- Recruit interns to fulfill semester or summer internship program.
- Write job descriptions and post to relevant sites.
- Complete any required paperwork for college internship credit.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Experience and high comfort level with CiviCRM.
- Experience with membership event planning and coordination.
- Strong organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, able to implement and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Able to manage multiple priorities; flexible, comfortable in environment with many projects and a lot of activity by members/volunteers.
- Comfortable with social media platforms.
- Knowledge of issues related to a progressive political agenda, including: support for civil liberties, workers’ rights, social justice; opposition to government repression, racism, homophobia.
- Able to adapt to a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Experience working in a small, grassroots membership organization.
- Experience working with individuals in the legal profession.
- Layout and design skills.
- Knowledge of WordPress.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary range $40,000 – $44,000 (commensurate with experience).
- Generous benefits package.
- Union membership.
NLGSF is an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, immigrants, formerly incarcerated persons, LGBTIQ+ individuals and differently-abled individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.